What is SSID number on router? SSID is one of the most important network-related concepts. In this article, we are going to see exactly what SSID is and how it can be changed and tell you everything you need to know about it.
What is SSID number on router?
SSID or Service Set Identifier is simply the name of your modem. Part of this SSID, also known as Service ID or Service Name or Network Name, is actually a 32-character term used to identify the Wi-Fi network when scanned by various devices.
You must enter the SSID and password when you want to connect to a network; Of course, if you have to enter your modem SSID if you have hidden it (we will explain in the following); Otherwise, the devices you want to connect to your WiFi modem will automatically detect the SSID of your modem and other modems around it, and you do not need to enter the SSID manually.
Manufacturers configure their WiFi modems at the factory with a default SSID . The default SSID of WiFi modems is usually the brand name along with the network frequency. For example, if your modem is a product of the Asus brand and has a frequency of 2.4 and 5 GHz, its SSID is ASUS_D0_2G and ASUS_D0_5G. SSID prevents unauthorized access to the modem. If you have hidden the modem SSID and a device wants to connect to the modem without it, the modem security mechanism will work and prevent unauthorized devices from accessing the modem.
How to change the SSID
As we said, all modems have a default SSID (the default name of the modems is usually written on them) which does not need to be changed; But IT experts recommend changing both the modem name and the default password when purchasing. This can be done easily on all WiFi modems.
Before explaining the steps of how to change the SSID, we must note that when creating the SSID, you must pay attention to the lower and upper case letters, and when you want to enter SSID characters in different devices, you must enter the letters exactly as when creating a new name You have written in the modem (meaning small and large English letters); For example, if you enter the phrase home-network in lower case in the SSID of the modem; You should not enter it in the device as HOME-NETWORK. Follow the steps below to change the SSID:
- In the browser’s address bar, enter the modem’s IP address (for example, 192.168.1.1). The IP addresses of the various modems are usually listed below them
- In the page that opens, enter the default username in the username field and the default password in the password field. The default username and password for most modems is “admin”. If you are unable to enter the modem settings by entering this default username and password, check the box below the modem or its box to see its default username and password.
After entering the modem settings, look for an option called WiFi name or SSID. The settings of different modems are slightly different and this option may be in the settings of different modems in different sections; But usually to change the name of the modem, you must first enter the Wireless Settings section (in the modems of the three brands of Tipi Link, Dilink and Asus, you must enter the same section to deny SSID).
Another point to note is that the Wireless Settings settings are also on different modems in different menus; For example, in new modems, this type of link is in the Basic menu; But in Dinkl modems it is in Setup menu and in Asus modems it is in General menu.
- Enter your desired name in the SSID field and click the Save button to save it.
Necessary tips regarding changing the modem name
- After renaming the modem and saving it, you must turn the modem off and on once to apply the new settings. It should be noted that after renaming the modem, devices that were previously connected to the modem must be reconnected to the modem with a new SSID. We recommend that you do not enter personal information such as your first and last name when entering a new name for your modem. Also, avoid choosing a name that catches your eye.
- We suggest that you do not choose a name for your modem that people will not notice when they see it on your device. Your modem is a public modem for providing free internet. Although this may not seem like a big deal, and tell yourself that after seeing the password entry request, people will realize that the network they are trying to connect to is not free and public, but you should know that the modem must have all the connection requests. Check yourself and this issue will cause it to get involved and slow down your internet download and upload speed !
- If you use multiple WiFi modems and want to change their default name, you should not, of course, create the same name for them; Because it certainly confuses you.
If you want to change the default name of one or more modems used in public places, we recommend that you enter the modem frequency along with its name (2.4 and 5 GHz) so that users based on the support of their devices from different modems, the modem you want. To choose.
If your modem supports two different bands, it is best to choose a name for both bands; This is because when a device is connected to the modem, the modem automatically detects the bandwidth and frequency supported for the connected device.
Hiding the name of the modem is a security measure and by doing so, you can prevent profiteers from trying to connect to your WiFi modem and try to hack it so that you no longer have to worry about unauthorized access to your modem; Of course, you should know that even by hiding the name of your modem, you still can not completely prevent your modem from being hacked; Because relatively professional hackers can easily detect the existence of your modem by tracking the data being transferred from the devices connected to it and the data being transferred from the modem to the devices connected to it using the application!
Also, if you hide the modem name, to connect a device to your modem, you have to enter it manually, which is a bit annoying; Especially when you want to connect multiple devices to your modem. However, if you still want to hide your modem name, after entering the Wireless Settings section, check the Hide SSID option in the SSID section. If you want to disable the SSID hiding mode, just uncheck this option. To enable or disable the SSID hiding mode on older modems, you must check Enable and Disable in the SSID broadcasting section.
After hiding the modem name, there is no problem for devices that were connected to the modem before doing this; But of course you have to enter the SSID manually to connect new devices to it.
As we said, hiding the SSID is not a completely basic solution to protect your modem from hackers, and to increase the security of your modem, you can use methods such as changing your modem’s default password and choosing a strong password, disabling WPS and UPnP protocols and choosing a protocol. Use WPA2 security.
If you have hidden the name of your modem and forgotten its name, you can use the CommView for WiFi WiFi Analyzer application to find the modem you want and view its name. By scanning the waves propagated in the air, this application can easily identify different modems at high speed and also show their names to you.
Frequently Asked Questions about SSID
What is an SSID?
The SSID is actually the name of your WiFi modem that is displayed in the list of WiFi networks found on various devices, and by selecting it, you can connect to the modem.
Can the SSID be changed?
Yes. All modems on the market have a default SSID, and you can easily change it by going to your modem’s Wireless Settings.
Is it possible to hide the SSID?
Yes, if you want to increase the security of your modem, you can easily hide its name by referring to the Wireless Settings of the modem so that it is not displayed on various devices that scan WiFi networks.
Leave a Reply