How to improve laptop battery life windows 10? Windows 10 has often been criticized for consuming more battery power than its predecessors, including Windows 7 and Windows 8 / 8.1. However, Microsoft has made several updates over the years to reduce some of the problems with battery overload in Windows 10. However, there is still a lot of work to be done to reach the desired power consumption in this version of Windows. In this article, we try to provide a detailed guide to improving the battery life of laptops and ultrabooks with Windows 10. Join us on Wironal.
How to improve laptop battery life windows 10
In this article, we will show you how to identify the applications that consume the most battery power. We will also teach you how to disable them to increase the laptop’s battery performance, which in turn improves battery life. We will also discuss several other ways you can improve the battery life of your Windows 10 PC. So without wasting time, here are the best ways to increase battery life in Windows 10:
Note: Make sure your laptop is not plugged in and is battery operated. If the laptop is plugged in and does not use battery power directly, some of the solutions described in the following sections may not work.
1- Change the battery usage mode
First of all, change the battery usage mode of your computer. This is one of the easiest ways to improve battery performance.
- Click the battery icon in your Windows 10 taskbar. Then drag the slider and select the battery consumption mode you want. If the laptop is not connected to the charger and is using the battery, you have 4 options, and if the laptop is connected to the mains, you have 3 options. The options before you are in the range of “Best Battery Life” which means the highest battery performance to “Best Performance” which means better performance of the device.
Note: These settings may not be available on all computers running Windows 10. The type of settings depends on the hardware used and the manufacturer of the device. The computer must be running Windows 10 version 1703 or higher.
2- Reduce the brightness of the screen
Another way to improve battery performance is to reduce the amount of screen light. Windows 10 makes this easy.
- Click Notifications  to the right of the taskbar. Then reduce the amount using the slider to adjust the brightness .
3- Turn on “Battery saving” mode
Another way you can increase the battery life of your laptop is to enable the Battery Saver Mode. This mode restricts background notifications and activities when the laptop is low on power.
- Make sure your computer is running on battery power and not plugged into a charger, then go to Settings. You can display the settings option by simultaneously clicking the Windows key and the letter I (Windows key + I). Then click on the System option.
Click the Battery option on the left to display the battery settings. You can now turn on Battery Saver mode.
4. Identify and deactivate programs that drain the laptop battery
On the same page as above, you can find apps that drain your laptop. You can also disable programs that run in the background on Windows and consume a lot of battery power. You can use the following method to do this:
- Scroll down the page to see which apps are consuming the most battery power on your device. Using the drop-down menu, you can check the battery usage history in the last 24 hours or last week.
Now click on one of the apps to see how much battery it consumes in the background.
Finally, select the available drop-down menu and choose from the three options Always, Let Windows Decide and Never. If you want the program to never run in the background and not use the battery, you can use the Never option, in which case the program will never be allowed to run in the background.
Note: These settings only work for applications that are installed from the Microsoft Store and do not support other applications that are available on the desktop.
5. Disable background programs
Disable apps running in the background of the device to improve battery life. In addition to the apps you saw in the battery settings, you can disable dozens of other apps that consume battery power in the background. You can do this by using the Privacy option in the settings. The following is the procedure:
- Open the Windows settings page (as described above) and select the Privacy option.
Now go to the bottom left window and click on the Background Apps option in the App Permissions section. On the right side, disable the Let apps run in the background option.
Note that some apps for notifications, alerts, etc. should be running in the background. If alerting and announcing a program is important to you, keep the On option enabled for it, you can enable or disable any application using the on / off option next to it.
6- Change the screen auto-off settings
One of the easiest ways to increase your laptop’s battery life is to optimize the Power and Sleep settings to reduce the time it takes for the screen to go on and go to Sleep mode. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Settings menu as described in the second section. Now click on Power And Sleep in the left menu. Drag the menu to the right, you can now use the options in the display timeout and sleep time out to set the desired time for the screen to stay on and go to sleep, to increase battery life. The shorter the time, the less wasted battery life while the laptop is on.
Note: Selecting a very short time, for example between 1 to 2 minutes may affect the quality of your work, so choose a time of about 5 to 10 minutes, to increase battery performance and do not interfere with your work.
- More advanced users can scroll down to the advanced settings on the same page and click on Additional Power Settings to access more options, including setting the desired turn-off and on time, without using Windows preset options. If you want to use this feature, make sure you have enough information to do so, if you make a mistake you will disrupt your previous settings.
7. Disable UI Animations and Shadows
Another way you can use to improve battery life on a Windows 10 laptop is to disable all UI Animations and Shadows. Below we will explain how to do this:
- Open the Run window by pressing Windows Key + R at the same time. Type the letters Cpl and press the Enter key to open the System Properties window.
Select the Advanced option in the top menu and click the Setting button in the Performance section.
Now in the Visual Effects Tab section, select the Adjust For Best Performance option. Click Apply or Ok at the end.
Note: The settings mentioned above reduce the attractiveness and beauty of Windows by disabling all animations and effects. If you want Windows to save some of these animations, you can change the default mode to Let Windows Choose What’s Best..
8- Turn off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to increase battery performance
Wireless signals such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth consume large amounts of battery power because they require special hardware components for continuous operation. Each time you use a device such as a wireless headset, remember to turn off your laptop’s Bluetooth when you’re done with it. Also, for devices that can be wired, do not use the wireless connection mode to avoid running out of battery power. For example, connecting a keyboard and mouse to a wire drains less laptop battery power than connecting to a Bluetooth connection.
9- Disable system startup programs
To increase battery life, you can disable some Startup Apps in Windows 10. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the Task Manager window by simultaneously pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc on the keyboard, then select Startup from the top menu. You can now disable any application or service that you do not think needs to be run at startup. To do this, select the desired program in the list below and click on the Disable option in the right corner of the window.
Note: Do not use this feature of Windows if you do not have enough information about programs and services. This is because you may disable and interrupt some important components such as audio, wireless connections, etc.
10. Disable Cpu cores
These days, almost all laptops run on multi-core processors. However, you can disable some CPU cores to save energy and improve battery life. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Run window as described in Section 5 by pressing Windows Key + R at the same time. Type Msconfig and press Enter. This will open the System Configuration window for further settings.
- In the System Configuration window, click on the Boot tab in the top options  and select Advanced Options .
Note: This option only uses the number of processor cores you specify when your laptop is no longer in use, and all processors will be reactivated when the device is pressed.
11- Check the force status
You can check the Windows Command Prompt for programs and processes that consume a lot of power. The following section will explain how this method works:
- To do this, you must open the Windows Command Prompt in Admin mode. To do this, according to the image, first type the letters Cmd in the Windows search field and then right-click on the Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
- In the Command Prompt window, type Powercfg / Energy as shown in Figure  and press Enter. In this mode, the computer will monitor your consumption for 60 seconds and prepare a list of errors, warnings and information. This report will be saved in Html format and its location will be mentioned in the last part .
Open the report in your laptop’s default browser. You will see a lot of technical information and details of power consumption. This feature is generally intended for professional users, but you can also search for some of them on the Internet to find out what consumes the most battery power.
12. Sync less data to improve battery life
To improve battery life on a Windows 10 laptop, you can sync apps like your email, calendar, and contacts less. The steps to change the settings may be different in different email programs, but in the default program you can follow the path to get started:
Settings> Accounts> Email & App Accounts
Then, select the account whose settings you want to change and then select Change Mailbox Sync Settings from the Manage option. Finally, select a longer sync interval to load the new email.
- You can also turn off auto-sync mode for most Microsoft applications. To do this, go to Settings and select the Accounts option.
You can now click on the Sync Your Settings option on the left and turn off the first option on the right side of the screen to make sure none of the services and apps are synced automatically. You can also manually synchronize any of the information you want.
13- Avoid overheating
Heat is one of the biggest enemies of any computing device, including desktops, laptops and smartphones. As the temperature of the laptop increases, the computer tries to reduce the temperature, which will slow down the laptop. If left unchecked, overheating can even shorten the life of your computer. This is also one of the main reasons for the rapid discharge of the battery and its gradual destruction. Keeping the temperature under control is one of the best ways to improve the battery life of your laptop. Placing the laptop in the right place (creating a good distance from the ground for proper ventilation) and using cooling pads can be effective in this regard.
14- Turn off the keyboard backlight
Some laptops have a keyboard backlight that drains the laptop battery. In this case, it is probably designed for a key device to adjust the keyboard light by turning it on or off. You may also be able to find the settings in Windows Mobility Center. In addition, some accessory makers design custom software to control their accessories. You can use this software to turn off the light of the mouse or gamepads.
15- Replace the battery
Finally, if none of the above works and the battery continues to drain quickly, your laptop battery may be damaged and need to be replaced. If you are using a relatively old laptop, the problem of lack of battery life may be related to battery life rather than settings and charging. The older the battery, the less charge it can hold. When the laptop battery drains very quickly, it is best to replace the laptop with a new one to improve performance. For best results, make sure you get the new battery from your laptop manufacturer or that the battery you are buying is the original battery approved by the manufacturer.
Optimize battery life on your Windows 10 laptop
A laptop that drains quickly can be a big hassle. But there are methods that can be used to reduce the speed of battery drain to some extent. In this article, we mentioned some of these methods. Of course, keep in mind that these software methods are not going to work miracles and cause a broken laptop battery! By the way, if you have a specific way to improve the laptop battery performance, be sure to share it with us and other Wironal readers.