Having a Gmail account is one of the most important things in the world today. But what if you have an unused account that you created years ago and now it’s time to delete it? There may be other reasons for deleting your Gmail account; For example, Google policies are not to your liking, or the email address you chose as a child is no longer useful for business use! Whatever your reason, we are with you today on Wironal to help you step by step in deleting your Gmail account permanently and also recovering it.
What is the difference between a Gmail account and a Google Account?
Before we learn how to delete a Gmail account, it’s best to know the difference between a Google Account and a Gmail account to know exactly what you want to delete. Your Google Account is essentially a username and password that gives you access to all of Google’s products and services, such as Gmail.
There are several types of Google Accounts, including Workspace, formerly G-Suite, Cloud Identity, and Google Play Managed Accounts. You do not need to have a Gmail account to have a personal Google account, because by having another (third party) email account, you can also create a Google account.
If you delete your Google Account, you will lose access to all Google services, including Gmail, but if you delete your Gmail account, you can still use the other email address (third party) that you attached to your Gmail account. Use other Google services.
Things to do before deleting your Gmail account
There are two important things to do before deleting your Gmail account:
1. Replace your Gmail address with another email address
If you used your Gmail account for online shopping, banking or other activities, you must replace the new Gmail account before deleting it. This way you will not lose any important emails, updates or even two-step password confirmations that need to be sent to the email address.
2. Download your Gmail information
You can download the data in your Gmail. If you do not do this step, after deleting your Gmail account, you will lose access to all the sections and data on it. Follow these steps to download your Gmail information:
- Go to Gmail -> Manage your Google Account -> Data and privacy -> Download your data or click on the link to download your data .
- Now from the opened page, select Deselect all as shown below and then scroll down the page to reach the Mail option. Then check it next to the box.
3. Choose between Multiple formats and All Mail data included. For today’s tutorial we have selected the second option which means that it will contain all the email information and you do not need to manually delete the individual emails in Gmail. You will also be allowed to tag or fold You also want to extract its contents from your Gmail by unchecking the Include all messages in Mail option and checking the relevant boxes. Now just click OK to finish.
4. Now drag the page to the bottom and click on Next step.
5. Select the delivery method of the emails in your Gmail in the desired format and size and then click on the Create export option.
After completing this step, the extraction of your emails will begin. Note that this can take hours or even days, depending on how much data you have on your Gmail! After completing the task, you will receive a message stating that it is finished.
How to delete your Gmail account on the desktop?
- First, log in to your Gmail account and click on your avatar at the top right of the page. Now select Manage your Google Account.
- Select Data & privacy from the menu on the left.
3. Until you get to Download or delete your data, drag the page down and then click Delete a Google service. You will then be asked to sign in again to verify your identity.
4. Once you sign in, you will see a list of Google services that are connected to your account, and you can delete them. Just click on the trash can icon next to Gmail.
5. Now you need to enter another email address so that all of your other Google Accounts, including Drive, Docs, etc., can continue to operate. Note that the email address you enter cannot be another Gmail address.
6. After entering the new email address, you will receive an email asking you to confirm whether you really want to delete your Gmail account forever by clicking on the link sent.
7. Click on the link sent and carefully read the warning message that was sent to you with the title Not the usual yada yada.
8. If you are still determined to delete your Gmail account, just check the box at the bottom of the page and then click on the DELETE GMAIL option.
How to delete your Gmail account in iOS and Android ?
You can also delete your Gmail account from your smartphone. To do this, just follow the steps below:
- Open the Gmail app on your phone, then tap your profile picture. Click Manage your Google Account.
- In the page that opens, go to Data and privacy as shown below.
3. In this step, scroll down to the end and if you use iOS, click on the Delete a Google service option. Click. You can also visit myaccount.google.com.
4. Log in to your Gmail account and click on the trash can icon next to Gmail.
5. Click the Please select drop-down menu to select how to sign in to your Google Account after deleting Gmail. Finally, click on the NEXT option.
6. Enter an alternate email address and click SEND VERIFICATION MAIL to browse the information in the box once. Then click on the GOT IT option.
7. Open the Gmail Deletion Confirmation message via the help email you entered and click on the link.
8. Now review the warning message once and then check its final confirmation at the end of the text and click on the DELETE GMAIL option.
At this point, your work will be completed and your Gmail account will be completely deleted.
What happens after a Gmail account is deleted?
After you delete your Gmail account, your email and its settings will be completely deleted and you will no longer have access to it, but you will still have access to your Google Account and the activities you have performed on it will be accessible. The important point here is that you can recover a deleted Gmail account.
How to recover deleted Gmail account?
You can restore and restore your Gmail account two to three weeks after it is deleted. But you should note that this time is limited and if this time passes, you will not be able to fully recover your account. After two to three weeks, you can still get your Gmail address back, but all your emails will be lost. Follow these steps to restore your Gmail account:
- You must first go to mail.google.com and enter your alternate email address instead of your previous Gmail username and password to perform the first step of recovering your Gmail account.
- You will now be prompted to re-add your deleted Gmail account to your Google Account.
- Browse the information displayed on the screen one round and then click Submit.
4. In this section you will be asked to enter your phone number to confirm your account. Do this and click Continue after selecting how to receive the code.
5. Enter the received six-digit code and then click Continue to get your Gmail account back twice.
Frequently Asked Questions
1- Is it possible to create a new Gmail account with the previous username?
As mentioned, even after deleting your Gmail account completely, you can still get back to your previous username and use it again. Your emails will not be recoverable after the deadline, so you can more or less say that you can use your previous username again.
2- What happens if someone sends an email to my expired Gmail address?
If someone sends an email to your previous Gmail account address; The message will not be delivered because there is no other address and a notification will not be sent to the sender.
3. Can someone else use my old Gmail address?
No. Google does not allow other people to re-use the username of a deleted account, as the previous account’s account can recover and restore your Gmail account. Google will offer similar URLs to the person.
Deleting and recovering a Gmail account is very simple. Fortunately, you can delete or restore a Gmail account quickly and easily with a few simple steps. The only thing that matters is that if you decide to save your Gmail account information, you need to make a backup copy of it.
Leave a Reply