When your storage space on Google Drive is too busy, you may want to delete some files from it. But how do I delete files from Google Drive? You will find the answer to this question here. In fact, in this article, you will learn how to delete file types, including multiple files at the same time, junk files, and files shared on Google Drive. Be with the Wironal.
How to delete Google Drive files from PC?
1. On your computer, open drive.google.com and find the location of the file you want to delete.
2. Click on the file once to select it and then tap the Delete button at the top.
How to delete files from Google Drive on your smartphone?
1. In the phone’s Google Drive app, tap the Files tab at the bottom.
2. Find the file you want to delete and tap the three dots next to the file.
3. Select Remove from the menu. After that, a confirmation window will appear.
4. Allow Google Drive to delete the file.
What happens when you delete files from Google Drive?
When you delete a file from Google Drive, that file is moved to the Deleted Items folder or Trash, where it stays for up to 30 days, after which it is permanently deleted. You can delete the file manually permanently before these 30 days are over.
Of course, you can only delete files that belong to you, and after deleting them, everyone with whom you shared the file will lose access to the file. If you want to delete a file from your account without deleting it, you must transfer ownership of the file to someone else.
How to delete multiple files in Google Drive at the same time
Fortunately, you can easily delete multiple files at once on Google Drive.
1. Select the first file you want to delete by clicking on it.
2. While pressing Ctrl in Windows or Command in macOS, click on other files to select them.
3. After selecting them, click the Delete button above.
On Android and iPhone:
1- Touch and hold the first file to select it. In this case, it activates multiple selection.
2. Tap on other files to select them as well.
3- By selecting the desired files, tap on the three dots at the top and select Remove from the menu.
How to delete files based on their size
If you are looking for the largest files to delete from Google Drive, you can sort the files by size.
1. Open https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/quota. You will now see all the files on your drive in order of size reduction and the largest ones at the top.
2. Select the file you want to delete and click on the Delete icon.
You can also delete multiple files together as shown above.
On Android and iPhone:
You may need to sort your files first, and this is only allowed in one folder.
1. Open the folder whose files you want to check and delete.
2. Tap Name (Name) or Last modified / Last opened option at the top.
3. Select Storage used from the menu. Your files will now be indexed from largest to smallest.
4- Select the required file and delete it by tapping on three points.
How to delete shared Google Drive files
To delete files shared on your computer:
1- Click on the Shared with me tab in the left sidebar.
2. Click on the desired file from the list of files displayed in the right panel, select it.
3. Click the Delete icon above.
On Android and iPhone:
1. Tap the Shared tab at the bottom.
2. Tap the three dots next to the file.
3. Select Remove from the list.
How to delete unused or orphaned files
A file that has lost its original folder or motherboard is called an orphan file in Google Drive. Although they are difficult to find, they are not impossible.
1. Simply enter the phrase is: unorganized owner: me in the Google Drive search box on your mobile or computer. This will show all the orphan files.
2. Delete them like any other file.
You can learn more about how to effectively search Google Drive by searching the internet.
How to permanently delete files from Google Drive
As mentioned, each file you delete first goes to the Deleted Items folder. To permanently delete files from Google Drive, you must delete them from the Deleted Items folder or Trash.
1. Click on the Bin folder in the left sidebar of Google Drive.
2- Click on the desired file and press the Delete button.
3- If you want to recover the deleted file, click on the Restore icon instead.
In Google Drive app for iPhone or Android:
1. Tap the top three bars and select Trash from the list. Here you will find all the deleted files.
2. Tap the three dots next to the file and select “Delete forever”.
3- Instead, you can recover the file by tapping Restore.
Frequently Asked Questions
1- What occupies the storage space in Google Drive?
To get started, your Google storage will be shared in Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos. If you receive a notification that your Google One storage space is full, Google Drive is just one of the things to blame.
Almost everything you put in Google Drive takes up space, including PDF files, movies, images, and newly created Google Drive service files such as Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, and Drawings. Previously, Google Drive component files were not stored in memory, but in June 2021 this trend changed. Apart from that, even the items in the Google Drive delete folder are included in the drive storage.
You can search the Internet to learn how to free up storage space on Google Drive.
Files on shared drives or the Shared with me section will not be counted in your storage because files are only stored on Google Drive’s owner.
2- If a Google Drive file is deleted on the computer, will it also be deleted from the mobile phone?
Yes, because files are synced with each other on different devices. Deleting them on one platform also removes them from other platforms.
3- Can I delete files from my computer or mobile phone after uploading them to Google Drive?
Yes, if you’ve already added files to Google Drive, you can delete them from your phone or desktop. This allows you to save space on your personal device.
4. Are Bin and Trash the same in Google Drive?
Yes, both point to the same thing.
Was this article helpful to you? Leave your comments with us on Wironal.