Apple ID as the center of the company’s ecosystem is responsible for connecting different devices to each other and is a kind of the main identity of users. The importance of the issue has led Apple to consider different layers of security to protect user accounts. With two-step authentication, the likelihood of unauthorized access to accounts is greatly reduced; But it is still highly recommended to use a reliable password. There are several ways to change your Apple ID password, the most important of which are mentioned in this article.
The following methods are used to change the Apple ID password on various Apple products, including iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, MacBook and Apple Watch.
Change the password of Apple ID on iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad
In this method, you must first make sure that your device is updated to newer versions of iOS (at least version 10.3 ). In older versions the password will be changed differently, But the principles are the same.
- First, open the Settings app and then tap on your account name at the top of the menu.
- In the first part located at the bottom of the account name and email, select the Password and Security option.
- Touch the Change password option at the top of the screen in blue.
- Enter the password that protects the device (including at least four numbers) so you can access the rest of the steps.
- Now enter the new password for the Apple ID and then type the password again to confirm it. Note that the Apple ID password must be at least eight characters long with uppercase and lowercase letters and numbers.
6. Click the Change or Change Password button in the upper right corner of the screen in blue. If this key is gray and inactive , it indicates that the new password does not have the required attributes and you need to change it.
7. After completing the process of changing the Apple ID password, you will be logged out of your account on all connected devices. You will now need to re-enter your Apple ID on each device with the newly defined password.
Change Apple ID password on Mac
Mac owners can change their Apple ID password directly from within the operating system; however, it is also possible to do the same thing through the browser, which is mentioned in the next section.
- To get started, click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner (top toolbar), then select System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- In the System Preferences window, select the Apple ID option in front of the account name in the upper left corner.
- Now from the menu on the left side of the window, click on the Password & Security option, which can be seen at the bottom of the account name and image.
- Tap the Change Password button, which appears in white below the email associated with the Apple ID. On this page, you will also be able to update the two-step authentication process to log in to your account.
- In the pop-up window, you will be asked for the Mac device password, which is necessary to continue the process of changing the Apple ID password. After entering the password, click the Allow key. If you do not remember your device password, you can use the Apple ID password forgetting feature.
- Enter the new password for your Apple ID first in front of New Password, then type it again in front of Verify to confirm. Finally, click the Change button to apply the changes.
If you are using older versions of Mac OS like Mojave and before on your Mac, after entering the system preferences page, you must first select the iCloud option . Then go to the Account Details section and select the Security option to go to the Reset Password section .
Change Apple ID password in browser
The ability to change the Apple ID password through the browser is another method provided by Apple to users. This method can be very useful and practical when maintaining access to one of Apple products or losing them and maintaining the security of user information.
- First, open your favorite browser window and then go to the official Apple ID page on the Apple website. Then log in with your current username and password. If you forgot your Apple ID password, use the password recovery option or password reset guide mentioned in the previous sections.
- Click the Change Password option labeled Security.
- Now re-enter your current Apple ID password in the Current Password field.
- Now in the New Password field, type the desired new password and enter it again in the Confirm Password field to confirm. The password must be at least eight characters long with at least one number and uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Click the blue Change Password button to save the changes.
Frequently Asked Questions about changing your Apple ID password
Is it possible to change the Apple ID password through the browser?
Yes; If you do not have access to Apple products connected to your account, you can change your password through the browser by logging in to the Apple ID home page on the Apple site.
What characters should the Apple ID password contain?
The password for the Apple ID must contain at least 8 characters, including a number and uppercase and lowercase letters.
Is it possible to change your Apple ID password if you forget it?
Yes; There are several ways to reset your Apple ID password, and you can reset your account password, which Digiato has described in a separate article.
Source: Business Insider