In this article, we are going to give you a guide to buying Samsung smartwatches, namely the Galaxy Watch series, so that you can buy them more easily.
Samsung is currently the largest phone maker in the world and has retained the title for more than a decade. Of course, this is not the only area where the Korean company is very successful. From smart and non-smart home appliances to phones, laptops, smartwatches, headphones and many other things that are beyond the scope of the text, are the areas in which Samsung operates. It can be said that it is almost impossible to buy electronic products in the market without the Samsung brand; This means that Samsung has somehow entered the lives of users and is of great importance.
What we are going to address in this article are the company’s smartwatches, namely the Galaxy Watch series. you have.
So if you have any questions about the company’s smartwatches, this article will be quite suitable for you because it is divided into 16 sections and in each section we have a series of important information about these gadgets. These include watches, bracelets, related apps, the value of buying Korean company gadgets, operating system, progress, history and much more, which you can view in a more organized category in the table of contents.
Galaxy Watch Buying Guide
- What is Galaxy Watch?
- Why should we buy / not buy Galaxy Watch smartwatches?
- What do professionals think about the performance of these watches?
- Which Samsung smartwatch is best for you?
- Tizen or WearOS
- Health and fitness capabilities
- Different capabilities based on the operating system
- Galaxy Wearable app
- Samsung Health app
- What is Samsung Pay? (Pay – Samsung payment service)
- Galaxy Watch accessories
- Common Galaxy Watch problems and their solutions
- Galaxy Watch Rivals
- Old Samsung Wearable Gadgets
- Frequently Asked Questions
Let’s take a look at the Samsung Galaxy Watch smartwatch buying guide to see how well the Korean company has been able to emerge as the best company in this field, Apple. Join Digikala Mag.
What is Galaxy Watch?
As mentioned, Samsung is best known for its Galaxy series smartphones, but you probably know that the Korean company also has a smartwatch in its product portfolio. Samsung used the Gear name for its smartwatches when it first started, but in 2017 we saw the unveiling of the first Galaxy Watch to integrate the names of these gadgets with smartphones. Since then, the company has not released a watch called the Galaxy Gear, and all Samsung watches have been made available under the name Galaxy Watch.
Samsung is both the maker of its watch hardware and the maker of software, but in the following we will talk more about software and operating system because it is more complex. Samsung’s first watch, known as the Galaxy Gear, runs Android Wear, but later Samsung decided to use its proprietary Tizen operating system for its wearable gadgets. As a result, the Galaxy Gears and a series of early Galaxy Watch watches hit the market with this operating system.
Currently, Samsung’s latest smartwatches are called the Galaxy Watch 4 and the classic Watch 4, which use Google’s WearOS operating system. That is, after years, the Korean company again decided to join Google in the software sector, because the American company has a much better performance in this field and more software is designed for its operating system. Of course, this operating system is not exclusively made by Google itself, but Samsung designed it with the cooperation of this company.
In general, Samsung smartwatches have a very good performance and have many applications. These products can monitor your health, monitor your daily activities, provide notifications for your smartphone, run a variety of applications, take advantage of a variety of attractive features, and much more, all of which are patiently reviewed. Is out. Of course, in addition to all these strengths, there are also weaknesses that we will definitely address in the following.
Why should we buy / not buy Galaxy Watch smartwatches?
There are definitely many reasons why you should buy a Samsung smartwatch. Samsung’s two new smartwatches, the Galaxy Watch 4 and the classic Watch 4, are one of the company’s best, running the hugely popular and rich WearOS 3 operating system. Samsung has partnered with Google to design the operating system, giving the Korean company exclusive ownership of WearOS until a certain point in 2022. So the Moby, Fasil, and other smartwatches that used WearOS as their gadget operating system will have to stay on the same operating system until a certain time next year, as all rights to the operating system belong to Samsung. So, because we do not want to offer you products with the old operating system, the Galaxy Watch 4 and the classic Watch 4 are at the top of our list of the best Android watches.
If you are one of those users who care about fitness and monitoring your daily activities, the Galaxy Watch 4 and Classic Watch 4 can meet your needs in the best possible way with their many capabilities. These watches use a separate GPS and the most accurate heart rate monitoring sensor, and also support more than 90 different sports modes. A number of attractive and good capabilities for runners such as analysis of post-workout activities are also considered. These watches also have the ability to monitor the ECG, but in some countries, the Ministry of Food and Drugs must issue a license, otherwise it can not be used, which unfortunately our country is in that category. But there are good features such as blood oxygen level monitoring for daily oxygen level monitoring as well as body composition estimation that can be used.
Galaxy Watches, apart from their good capabilities, are among the best gadgets in the field of personalization. Each model of this watch that you like is available in different sizes so that there is no problem for your hands to be too big or too small. Also, a large number and models of straps of these products in different designs and colors have been produced by Samsung itself, which you can buy and enjoy to beautify your watch.
Is there a reason we do not want to offer you the Galaxy Watch? Definitely there. If we look back, we can see that the Galaxy Watches have never had an outstanding performance in terms of charge maintenance. Unlike these gadgets, the representatives of competing companies such as Fitbin and Garmin were unique in this respect. But Samsung watches were usually such that you had to charge them every two days, and this trend did not change much with the introduction of new watches. Another issue that raises doubts about buying these products is the Google software update. Although Samsung’s small dealer operating system is incredibly attractive and lovable, Google’s commitment to updating its watch operating system software has not been very interesting, and perhaps it is better to say that there is no commitment at all.
What do professionals think about the performance of these watches?
In reviewing any product, the opinion of professionals and experts in related fields can also be very influential and important. Fortunately, it’s been a long time since Samsung launched its new smartwatch. What this means is that there is enough testing time for professional users to comment on various aspects of it.
According to reviewers, Samsung smartwatches are very similar to the company’s phones. That is, they have everything you would expect, but that does not mean that all of them are in the best possible shape at this time. For example, features such as ECG or ECG or snoring detection are available when the phone is connected to a watch from Samsung’s own brand. Even the ECG itself does not work in every country.
However, many of these people believe that the Galaxy Watch 4 and the classic Watch 4, as one of the best smartwatches in the Android world, should be on your shopping list. Of course, firstly if you are looking to buy a smartwatch and secondly if you are interested in a watch with WearOS operating system. The new Galaxy Watches are unique in demonstrating the capabilities of this operating system. Needless to say, the software experience is very similar to Tizen’s operating system, which means that you will see an integrated look with Samsung phones, but the interior of the two operating systems are completely different. Similarities include Bixby Voice Assistant, Samsung Payment System as the default payment app, and the like. Of course, you can download and install Google Payment Services from the Play Store for these hours, but Google Voice Assistant is still not available on these products.
However, in terms of build quality and hardware power, these watches perform very well. Slim appearance, comfortable placement in the hand without any problems even in long use, powerful processors, high RAM and in general everything related to these parts are some of the positive features seen in the small Samsung dealerships. Of course, the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic is slightly thicker and larger than the standard model because it uses a turntable for navigation.
Unfortunately, Google has not yet announced its position on the WearOS 3 operating system software update and what its decision is. Therefore, we are not aware of any issues in this regard and do not know when the watch we purchase will receive its software or security update. Still, Samsung’s new dealerships have a very high purchase value in 2021.
Of course, there are two more hours, so it makes sense to look at them as well. We are talking about Galaxy Watch 3 and Active Watch 2. Watches that, although they use the Tizen operating system, have a very good performance and their price has doubled their purchase value. The Galaxy Watch 3 and Watch Active 2 are known as the latest watches equipped with Google’s proprietary operating system, but Samsung has announced that it will update them in terms of software for a long time. Of course, one should not expect these watches to receive the best and most attractive features. Simply put, if you are looking for a more forward-looking purchase, the Watch 4 Series is a better choice.
If you are looking for a simpler product that can meet your needs at the right price range, the Galaxy Watch 3 and Active 2 with almost the same set of features are good options available. Of course, the Galaxy Watch 3 is a very attractive and lovable watch due to its bezel rotation for navigating the system, and it did not disappoint the reviewers in the various reviews that were done. However, this watch has a poorer performance in terms of fitness capabilities than the representatives of the new generation, such as the low accuracy of GPS and heart rate sensor, which was not good at all. Naturally, such cases will affect the choice of a watch.
Galaxy Watch Active 2, but slightly suitable for sports enthusiasts. Those who do not want to have a big watch on their hand and on the other hand want to take advantage of all the capabilities of a smart watch. This watch is smaller, darker and lighter than the Watch 3 model because it no longer uses the turntable. Instead, the watch case is touch sensitive and can respond to user touch commands. Good features of this watch include AMOLED display, long battery life, sleep monitoring capability and the like. Unfortunately, the performance of the heart rate sensor and GPS is as bad as the Watch 3, and we do not see any significant change in this regard.
Which Samsung smartwatch is best for you?
When buying a smartwatch, it is important to know what you need first. In fact, in the first place, you have to decide for yourself whether you need such a gadget in your life or not. If the answer is yes, you should see what kind of user you are, professional or ordinary. If you want something like an accurate heart rate sensor, you want the GPS to work properly, take advantage of a lot of fitness features, and things like that, you can buy powerful and expensive Samsung watches. But if you want to buy the best watch for the price you pay, and it does not matter to you that the smartwatch has a great performance, so buy cheaper watches.
- The Galaxy Watch is the best Samsung smartwatch you can buy. Although this product is expensive, it has many features that can meet your needs in the best possible way.
- The Galaxy Watch 4 Classic is also Samsung’s best smartwatch, but it has a larger size and a more classic look. It is also heavier due to the use of the turret.
- The Galaxy Watch 3 is Samsung’s best smartwatch equipped with the Tizen operating system. If you need a watch that is reasonably priced and at the same time uses Samsung’s proprietary operating system, the Watch 3 could be an attractive option.
- The Galaxy Watch Active 2 is Samsung’s best affordable watch that you might be able to buy in stores for less than $ 200. Note that this product also uses Tizen as its default operating system.
Tizen or WearOS?
We compare two examples of the best smartwatch operating systems, Tizen and WearOS. If you are unfamiliar with these two platforms, you are probably wondering which of the two products is a better choice. Naturally, this question can not be answered accurately and quickly, as both are suitable for meeting the needs of users. However, considering the opinions of people who have used these two for years, we can point out some points.
WearOS, especially the new version used in the Galaxy Watch 4 and the classic Watch 4, has a very high compatibility with Android smartphones. Of course, this is perfectly normal because both operating systems are based on the same platform. As a result, services such as PlayStore are available on WearOS so you can have your favorite app, which is usually available for your phone, on your smartwatch. One of the positive points of this operating system, but its high coordination in the messenger section, is that, for example, rejecting notifications by swiping on them in an hour, also deletes notifications from the phone.
The capabilities of PlayStore, however, are not limited to these cases. This store uses many powerful third-party applications that can transform the user experience on a small product such as a smartphone. Many developers who design apps for Android phones also design that app for Android-based smartwatches. Therefore, the number and quality of applications are very high.
On the other side, however, is Tizen, which uses the Galaxy Store, Samsung’s proprietary store, as a source for its apps and watches. The Galaxy Store is also rich and well-equipped and uses a series of very useful and attractive applications, but the experience of working with a product equipped with this operating system is not at all comparable with a product equipped with Google’s operating system. In fact, the lack of developers in the Galaxy Store seems to be the only reason why Samsung decided to use WearOS as its new watch operating system instead of Tizen.
With the WearOS 3 update, Google has allowed watchmakers to improve the look and feel of their products. Following the example of this idea, Samsung decided to enter into a partnership with this company and take possession of the mentioned operating system exclusively until 2022. On the other hand, its design is very integrated and compatible with the One UI user interface, so that more of Samsung’s signature work is on it than Google. This is why we see that in terms of appearance inside the program, there is no difference between the new generation and the previous generation equipped with Tizen.
With all these interpretations, the answer to the question of which operating system is best for you will naturally be obvious. Our suggestion is that WearOS is a better option to buy. While Tizen has its strengths, the watches equipped with this operating system will receive less and less equipped updates from this company, and at the same time, the Korean company will have a special focus on new agents. Of course, Samsung said that it will continue to update the watches equipped with Tizen, but the mentioned updates are more to fix the bug and increase the level of security. So if you are looking for a more forward-looking product, it is better to buy the classic Galaxy Watch 4 or Watch 4, which has a better and more equipped operating system.
Health and fitness capabilities
The Galaxy Watches, as Apple’s main competitors to the Apple Watch series, should naturally have some very attractive features, which fortunately they do. Health and fitness features have been a major focus of the company since Samsung entered the field, and we have seen every attractive feature that companies add to their watches that Samsung also uses in its watches. The competition did not open. These include blood oxygen sensors, ECGs, and the like, which we will describe in more detail below.
- More than 90 different training modes: The Galaxy Watch 4, as Apple’s best smartwatch, supports more than 90 different sports modes. In fact, it can be said that almost every important exercise position you want in this product can be reviewed and monitored, such as crunch, sitting and sitting, leg movements, and so on.
- Pedometer: All Galaxy Series smartwatches use a pedometer sensor. Of course, this is one of the basic capabilities of any health gadget, which fortunately we see in the small representatives of the Korean company. With the help of the pedometer, the user can calculate the number of steps he walks during the day, so that if he sets a goal for himself, for example, 10,000 steps per day, he can more easily check his status in reaching the goal.
- Rangefinder: Another feature of Samsung smartwatches is the rangefinder. In this way, these products can calculate the amount of distance traveled by you. If you put your watch in the monitoring mode of a particular exercise, GPS will intervene and give you more accurate information about the distance you have traveled. Of course, keep in mind that the training movement must cover a distance.
- Separate GPS: One of the most attractive features of Samsung smartwatches is separate GPS. This feature is not commonly found in wristbands, but smartwatches do. One of the advantages of a separate GPS is that it shows you very accurately the distance traveled and the speed of navigation without the need for a phone for this purpose.
- Climbing stairs: It may seem strange, but Samsung smartwatches do not measure vertical travel distance as horizontal, and evaluate the amount of energy consumed in this mode differently. As a result, Galaxy Watches help you get good information about the distance traveled and energy consumption in the vertical position.
- Calories consumed: Calorie meters do not work accurately in many smart watches or wristbands. However, Samsung representatives are doing well in this regard and the reviews have not shown anything bad in this regard. Of course, the new agents definitely have a better performance that can calculate the amount of calories consumed, both at rest and during exercise.
- Heart rate: Like a pedometer, a heart rate sensor is available on all smartwatches or wristbands that can optically measure your heart rate. In the Galaxy Watch, we see a similar situation, which has a very precise performance, especially in the new models, and warns you if your heart rate is too high.
- Sleep monitoring: One of the attractive sensors of smartwatches is sleep monitoring. With the help of this sensor, the user can hold the clock in his hand when he is asleep, so that the sleep status monitoring sensor can record almost all the necessary information. The Galaxy Watch 3 and Watch 4 give you a score from 1 to 100 based on various factors, and if your Galaxy Watch 4 is connected to a Samsung phone, you can even see how much you snore during sleep.
- Stress Monitor: Because smartwatches are not necessarily for fitness and are also used in the field of health, they also use a very important feature called stress monitoring that can help you determine the amount of stress you have. Stress is measured by heart rate and information received from it, but unlike other watches where you are rated from 1 to 100, you see a slide in the Galaxy Watch that goes from green to red. Green means your condition is normal, but when it turns red, it means you are under a lot of stress.
- Breathing Exercise: If you have a lot of stress, the Galaxy Watch can help you breathe a little easier to relax. Select the Breath app from the stress tracking menu and follow the on-screen instructions to be able to breathe properly. Proper breathing also plays an important role in reducing stress, and how you do it can help you a lot.
- Maximum Aerobic Capacity – Oxygen Consumption: One of the capabilities that has just been added to smartwatches, and fortunately we see in the good representatives of Samsung, is measuring the maximum oxygen content of the blood. This amount is displayed for you after each exercise so that you can be aware of your condition.
- Percentage of oxygen saturation in the blood: Galaxy Watch 4, Watch 3 and Watch Active 2 can measure the percentage of oxygen saturation in your blood. How this parameter is measured is also measured through a blood oxygen meter sensor. On the Galaxy Watch 3 and Active Watch 2, this amount is measured manually during the day, but the classic Galaxy Watch 4 and Watch 4 not only measure during the day but also at night at one minute intervals.
- Analysis of two: Samsung has included in its smartwatches the ability to provide you with good information about it after each two (monitored by the clock). Very useful information such as imbalance, collision time, time of foot separation from the ground and… that such information is not displayed every hour.
- ECG (ECG): One of the most attractive features that unfortunately can not be used in every country, is the ECG. The Galaxy Watch 4, Watch 3 and Active Watch 2 use the ECG sensor, with the help of which you can in any situation Be aware of your heart health. You will then be given an ECG, which you can check with a watch for any problems. This feature only works when the Food and Drug Administration of each country sends the necessary license for it, and of course you must have a Samsung phone.
- Body composition: Samsung’s new Galaxy Watch 4 series smartwatches can give you great information about your body composition. These include skeletal muscle mass, basal metabolic rate (BMR), body mass index (BMI), total body water, and body fat mass, which is an extraordinary ability.
- Fall detection: Fall detection is one of the most useful and life-saving features that can be vital, especially for older people. With this feature, if you fall to the ground while doing something like running and walking, your essential contacts will be sent a message stating that you need help. This feature should be considered a weaker version of the same features found in Apple and Garmin smartwatches.
- Menstrual cycle monitoring: With the help of Samsung smart watches and through the Samsung Health application, you can also control your menstrual cycle. Samsung, in collaboration with the makers of the Glow app, was able to add the possibility of predicting the menstrual cycle to its watches, such as the day of ovulation and menstruation. Users can also enter premenstrual symptoms, mental states, sexual activity and the like in a special application to make the clock function more accurate in predicting the next cycle.
- Blood pressure: Samsung’s latest dealers also allow users to measure their blood pressure. This is done by analyzing your pulse waves, but there are a number of problems that we need to address. First, the sensor must first be calibrated using a powerful sensor, not the usual accessories that many have. Unfortunately, these features are only available in Australia. Samsung also pointed out that the sensor could not detect cases such as high blood pressure or other serious problems. So we have to consider it an advertising feature in some way so that what is supposed to be really useful.
Different capabilities based on the operating system
The situation changes a bit here. We have already mentioned that Samsung smartwatches with two operating systems are available in the market, and this means that the Korean company must support both of them in terms of software. We are talking about WearOS and Tizen, the former designed by Google and the latter by Samsung. As a result of the change of the two operating systems, the capabilities of the two hours also change, which we will examine in the following.
Keep in mind that WearOS 3 is only available on the Galaxy Watch 4 Series watches, so if you want to buy a product from Samsung with this operating system, only the two classic Watch 4 and Watch 4 models will be available as a purchase option. Otherwise, all Galaxy Watch models use Tizen as their default operating system. But we are going to look at the capabilities that are embedded in the two operating systems in different ways.
- Smartphone notifications: One of the things that Samsung smartwatches do differently is the control of smartphone notifications, which can vary depending on the operating system of the watch. If your smartwatch operating system is WearOS, ie you are using the classic Galaxy Watch 4 or Watch 4, you will receive notifications in the same way as you receive on the phone. There is also the ability to respond quickly to notifications, which is possible both through the voice command and the keyboard. Additionally, closing each notification per hour also erases that notification on the phone. But if your smartwatch uses Tizen’s operating system, you can receive notifications, respond to them, but the options are more limited than Google’s operating system.
- Google Play Store: As the name implies, this store is only available on watches equipped with WearOS operating system, through which you can download and install many third-party applications. It is also possible to download interesting games.
- Samsung Galaxy Store: Once again, given the name of this store, we can guess which operating system it uses. If you are using a Galaxy Watch 3 or older, you can use a more compact version of the Samsung Store to download and install your favorite app or watch. This store has a much poorer performance compared to Play Store.
- Samsung Bixby: Samsung has a particular bias towards its dedicated voice assistant, and even in the hours when they have Google as their default operating system, because of its patent rights, it has made Bixby voice assistant as the only means of communication via voice commands. Bixby is present in all Korean smartwatches as the default voice assistant, which also works really well, especially if your smartphone is from Samsung, but of course we know it can not be compared to Google Assistant, which is the best voice assistant in the world. Interestingly, smartwatches equipped with WearOS 2.23 or older use Google Assistant as the default voice assistant, which is one of their advantages.
- Incoming calls: Many Samsung smartwatches allow you to answer and make calls so that you can do so directly through the watch. If your smartwatch only supports Bluetooth, you must first pair it with your phone before you can use it. Otherwise, if your watch supports LTE connectivity, you can do so without the need for a phone.
- Music streaming and offline music streaming: The Galaxy Watch 4, which uses the WearOS operating system, allows users to download music from popular apps and services such as Spotify and YouTube Music. It is also recommended to download the NavMusic application as it allows you to download the local music file on the clock. The Galaxy Watch 3 and older watches also allow users to save local music files as well as download from Spotify. It should be noted that to listen to music through the clock, you definitely need Airbuds.
- Control music playback via clock: If your watch uses Google’s operating system, you can control the music playback process on your smartphone using music streaming applications.
- Contactless payment: This feature is not available in our country because it requires NFC. So it may not be very important to pay for it, but very briefly, to pay without calling in stores, you can use the Samsung Pay app, which is the default payment system for all Korean smartwatches. Of course, it is possible to use the Google payment system, but you must first download it through the Play Store. Do not forget that using this feature will only be done at its best when you have a Samsung phone.
- Maps and Navigation: Google Maps is available as the default mapping app on watches with WearOS operating system, allowing users to read maps from the same watch without the need for a phone.
- Models equipped with WiFi + Bluetooth and LTE: Galaxy Watch smartwatches are available in different models, and the model equipped with LTE requires a SIM card. Many users, however, buy the model equipped with Wi-Fi + Bluetooth, which means that the watch must be connected to the phone via the Internet in order to receive the necessary information. Also, the model equipped with Wi-Fi looks better than the LTE model.
Galaxy Wearable app
Galaxy Wearable is an application for smartwatches and Samsung wearable gadgets in general, which you can use to do various tasks according to the type of your device. For example, if you pair it with a smartwatch, you can download different features, change the layout of applications, remove or add tiles, change the quick settings panel, and much more.
In the past, WearOS-enabled products could only be paired with the phone through the Wear OS app, but Samsung decided to use its exclusive rights and consider its own app for this purpose. This application also acts as a bridge between the watch and the phone for Galaxy Watches equipped with the Tizen operating system.
After downloading this application on your phone, all you have to do is enter your Samsung account so that you can log in to the application. If you do not have a Samsung account, you must create one via your phone. Once logged in, you must pair your smartwatch with it. At this point, the app will probably ask you to download the necessary driver for your Galaxy Watch, which will be done automatically. Samsung accessories service application can also be downloaded through Play Store. If you’m using a Samsung phone, you probably already have the latest app installed.
If you’re using the Galaxy Watch 4 or the classic Watch 4, you’ll see two sections inside the Galaxy Wearable app, the top of which lets you customize the watch faces, the layout of the apps, the tiles, and the quick settings menu. The bottom section is for clock settings, activating the Find My Watch feature for times when you lost the clock, and viewing the user guide. At the top of the Home menu, the current watch and battery percentage are displayed.
In general, the Galaxy Wearable application is very comprehensive and practical, but at the same time simple and without special complexity, that even users who have not experienced working with it can take full advantage of all its capabilities. It should be noted that if there is an update for the watch, you can also download it through the same application.
Samsung Health app
Samsung Health has been present in Samsung phones for several years and we are fully aware of the quality of its work. This app is available as the default health app on all Samsung smartwatches and phones, and it works very well. Despite the use of Google’s operating system, the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 and Watch 4 classic watches use Samsung Health instead of the Google Fit app, which is good enough to meet the needs of users in the best possible way.
With the help of this application, you can see the details of all your daily activities such as exercise, sleep, stress level and things like that. The app also takes advantage of good social features such as monthly challenges that you can compete with your friends to achieve. Of course, it is recommended that you do not do this because they are just wasting your time to be really practical and effective.
In addition to the above, there are a number of fitness apps within the app that have been included by Samsung business partners Bless Life, Keep, Skimble and Bodybuilding.com. These include exercises with a guide and even a training video. Users can also access a series of mental exercises such as meditation (with help), bedtime stories, music, and the like, thanks to Samsung’s collaboration with Calm app developers within Samsung Health.
What is Samsung Pay?
Samsung payment service, as mentioned above, is considered as the company’s solution for contactless payment. This feature can be used on Samsung smartphones or smartwatches to make in-store payments. Keep in mind that to take advantage of this feature, the device in question must use NFC or MST technology. Of course, Samsung withdrew Galaxy Watch support from MST in its payment service, so NFC is the only technology needed for the Galaxy Watch to benefit from contactless payment services.
Once you have this app installed and running, it is very easy to use. While browsing the store you are looking for, you can look for a payment terminal that also usually has an NFC sign. All you have to do is run the Samsung payment service from your smartwatch and hold your wrist close to the payment terminal for a few seconds. At this time a confirmation notification will be sent to you that your payment has been completed successfully. (You will probably need to enter your smartwatch password during this step.)
Samsung Pay or Samsung Contactless payment service allows you to receive gifts for every purchase. It is even possible to store a digital card of the Corona vaccine. The application is recognized in millions of stores around the world and is supported by more than 1,000 banks.
Once again, if you are a user of Samsung payment service, the Galaxy Watch 4 series allows you to use Google Pay or Google payment service for your contactless payments. However, it depends on your taste and experience which one you prefer.
Galaxy Watch accessories
Many third-party accessories are now available for the Galaxy Watch series smartwatches, in addition to those produced by Samsung itself, which users can choose according to their taste.
Naturally, the first and most widely used accessory for any smartwatch is its strap. Samsung sells a large number of these straps on its official website that current Galaxy Watch owners can purchase. On this website, users can also choose silicone leather straps or high quality leather straps from brands such as Serafil, Novonappa, Baraluba and NFL.
If you are not interested in buying these high quality and expensive straps, you can use third party straps which are also sold in many stores. Just remember to choose the right size for your watch. For example, for all Galaxy Watch 4 models, you will need a 20 mm strap. For the Galaxy Watch Active 2, Watch Active, Galaxy Watch 42mm and Galaxy Watch 3 41mm, you will need exactly the same size. For the Galaxy Watch 3 45 mm, Galaxy Watch 46 mm, Gear S3 Frontier and Gear S3 Classic, you also need a 22 mm strap, which of course must be included in the store.
But apart from the strap, there are many accessories designed for Galaxy Watches, which we will mention in the continuation of this shopping guide. At Samsung’s official website, users can also purchase the Galaxy Watch charger, which will definitely be available in other stores. In addition, there is an interesting accessory that Samsung calls UV Sanitizer. A device that you can put your smartwatch in, according to the Korean company, to kill 99% of its dangerous bacteria in just 10 minutes. This accessory is designed to stay away from the dangers of the Corona virus, which is very useful and interesting if the company claims to be true. In general, this kit can be considered as the strangest accessory of Galaxy Watches, which, of course, as mentioned, can be very practical and necessary.
Common Galaxy Watch problems and their solutions
There is definitely no electronic product that has no drawbacks. Naturally, the Galaxy Watches, with all the advantages we mentioned above, also have a series of problems, some of which, fortunately, are solvable and some of which are not very important. But others may be really annoying to users. Common Galaxy Watch Problems can be categorized into the following sections.
- Problems pairing with the phone
Turn Bluetooth on and off once to see if the problem is resolved. Also turn Bluetooth on and off on your smartphone. Keep the phone and watch together, and if the problem persists, restarting the phone and watch can also be a possible solution. If the problem persists, you can completely disconnect the phone and the watch and reconnect them.
- Sync problem
If the information sent by the watch is not synchronized with the phone, you can use the following methods to reconnect the watch and the phone. First, do all the methods mentioned above for the problem of pairing with the phone. If the problem persists, uninstall the Samsung Health app from your phone once and reinstall. As a last resort, reset the clock to factory settings.
- Charging problem
First, check to see if your wireless charger is properly connected. Check to see if the charger or cable is damaged or if everything is in good condition. Try another cable or charger to see if the problem persists. Check for dust or debris on the charger port. If the device is slightly charged, try restarting it first and try charging again. If your smartphone supports reverse charging, try placing the watch on the back panel of the phone to see if the watch is charging. If none of these solutions solve your problem, it looks like you need to change the charger. (Rarely is the problem with the watch itself).
- Display problem
If you suddenly notice that your Galaxy Watch has a display problem, that is, it has a skipping image, a dotted line, or something like that, Samsung says a single restart should solve your problem. Keep in mind that during the restart process, you should also carefully examine the clock display to see if the problems are still visible or only as soon as it is turned on. Be sure to pay attention to such cases at the very beginning of the purchase so that you can return the watch if you have a problem. Of course, there may be a problem with WatchFace. So it’s best to delete your watch face first and try another watch to see if the problem persists. The method of removing and replacing a watchface is similar in Tizen and WearOS.
- Advertising problem
Restarting the phone and the clock after the notification display problem can always be a good solution that you should try first. If the problem persists, see if the notification option is enabled in the Galaxy Wearable app. If a particular app does not send notifications, it is a good idea to check the options for that app on the same notification page. If the problem persists, you should see if the device is in power save mode or if the alarm limit is on.
- Update problem
Restart the clock once. If the watch does not receive updates automatically, do so manually through the Galaxy Wearable app. If none of this works for you, try disconnecting the watch and the device once and reconnecting them. If the phone received the update but that update was not installed on the clock, there may be a problem with the connection, which may be solved by turning on and off Bluetooth or the Internet. Otherwise, try resetting the clock to factory settings to see what happens.
- Problem with activity monitoring sensors
If your daily activities are not automatically monitored, make sure the Auto detect workouts (in Tizen) or Workout detection (in WearOS) options are enabled. If your device does not have a problem with automatic recording of sports movements, but on the other hand, it mistakenly recognizes each movement as a training or sports mode, it may be better to disable this option and monitor your activities manually. If the problem persists, try restarting the device once. If an update is available for the watch, be sure to install it as it may be a software problem for not automatically or correctly monitoring activities. Returning to factory settings can be helpful if even one software update causes problems.
- Mobile Internet problem
First you need to make sure the model you bought is LTE. Also see if your watch supports the phone. The phone must have at least 1.5 GB of RAM and Android 5.0 and above. To connect via LTE, simply connect the phone to the watch and check the LTE network through the Mobile networks section of the Galaxy Wearable app to see if the connection is working. Resetting the clock network settings can also solve the problem in many cases. Restarting the phone and watch also solves the problem of not connecting via LTE.
- Performance problem
If you encounter any hardware problems, the first thing you should do is restart the clock. Deleting apps that you do not use can also be helpful in many cases. The watch you use may also be problematic, so try removing it and try another watch. Deleting widgets that you no longer use can also be effective. If a software update is available, be sure to download and install it. Finally, if none of the above solves the problem, try resetting the watch to factory settings.
Galaxy Watch Rivals
The Galaxy Watches are currently one of the best health and fitness smartwatches on the market, but that does not mean they do not have tough competitors. Apple Watch, thanks to the good policies pursued by Apple, is now one of the best-selling and most popular smartwatches in the world, and arguably the best smartwatches that have unparalleled performance in providing various services. There are also competitors from companies such as Garmin and Fitbit, which we will review the best of these companies in the following.
Apple Watch 7 Series: As mentioned, the Apple Watch 7 Series is the main competitor to Samsung’s new dealerships, and more precisely, the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic. This watch may be considered as the best option in the market, which of course is compatible only with iPhones, but Samsung representatives can also be used with iPhones (except for two models of the Galaxy Watch 4 series that use the Android operating system).
Garmin Veno 2: Garmin may not be as well-known as Samsung in the market, but it has great smartwatches that might be considered the best competitor to the Galaxy Watch 4 or Watch Active 2. In terms of being very accurate, reliable in performing health-related tasks, monitoring various sports and health states, and many other good things that you need to have in smart watches.
Fitbit Sense and Versa 3: These watches can be considered as the best option for monitoring health-related activities. Both devices are very accurate in terms of sensor performance and can provide users with very accurate and good detailed analysis.
Fasil Gen 6: One of the best watches equipped with Google WearOS operating system is Fasil Gen 6, which can be considered a serious competitor for the Galaxy Watch 4. This smartwatch has a high quality display and an extremely durable battery that, along with numerous third-party applications, can meet the needs of users in almost all cases.
Old Samsung Wearable Gadgets
In this guide to buying Galaxy Watch series smartwatches, we focused more on Samsung’s new watches, but as mentioned at the beginning of the text, the Korean company has a long experience in this field. However, the company’s efforts have always been largely ignored due to the outstanding performance of rival companies. Of course, with the arrival of the new generation, it is expected that the previous trend will not be repeated, now we have to see what happens. Below are all the old Samsung watches that we did not mention in this review.
- Samsung Galaxy Watch Active
- Samsung Galaxy Watch
- Samsung Galaxy Fit
- Samsung Gear Sport
- Samsung Gear Fit 2 Pro
- Samsung Gear S3
- Samsung Gear Fit 2
- Samsung Gear S2
- Samsung Gear S
- Samsung Gear Live
- Samsung Gear Fit
- Samsung Gear 2 New
- Samsung Gear 2
- Samsung Galaxy Gear
The Galaxy Watch Active 2, Galaxy Watch 3, Galaxy Watch 4 and Watch 4 Classic watches have recently been added to the Korean company’s product portfolio, and in this shopping guide, we focused more on the same products.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Are Galaxy Watch watches waterproof?
Answer: All Galaxy Watch smartwatches use the 5ATM + IP68 waterproof standard, which means they are resistant to water and dust. They also use the US military resistance standard MIL-STD-810G to withstand harsh weather conditions, shocks and the like.
Q: Are Galaxy Watch smartphones compatible with iPhones?
Answer: It depends on the watch model. The Galaxy Watch 4 and the classic Watch 4 are not compatible with iPhones because they run Google’s WearOS operating system. Older watches like the Galaxy Watch 3 and earlier watches can be connected to iPhones. But keep in mind that you can get the best experience out of working with an Android smartwatch by connecting it to an Android phone. If it’s a Samsung watch, you will have the best experience when you have a Samsung phone.
Q: Do Samsung smartwatches use LTE connectivity?
Answer: Some Galaxy Watch series watches support LTE connection so that you can also receive phone calls or text messages on your phone. Currently, five models of Samsung smartwatches take advantage of this feature, including the Galaxy Watch 4, the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic, the Galaxy Watch 3, the Galaxy Watch Active 2, and the original Galaxy Watch.
Q: Can the Galaxy Watch 3 be equipped with the WearOS operating system?
Answer: No. It is also not possible at all for watches equipped with the Tizen operating system to be equipped with a software update to the WearOS operating system. Of course, Samsung will continue to update these watches, but it certainly can not change their operating system because it requires hardware and software reprogramming.
Q: What model is my Galaxy Watch smartwatch from?
Answer: If you are not very familiar with the name of the watch or for example you received these products as a gift and you do not know the exact model and name, just go to the settings of this product and in the About Watch section, be aware of the name, model number and model of the watch. Become. Below that, more detailed information such as serial number, phone number and other items are listed.
Q: Do the Galaxy Watch series smartwatches support Google Payment service?
Answer: We mentioned this issue above and we will mention it again. First of all, whether your watch supports payment services at all depends on its model. To find out what the payment system is as the default system, you need to look at the watch model again. If your watch was from the new series, the Galaxy Watch 4 or the classic Watch 4, you can download and install Google Pay from the Play Store because Samsung’s proprietary payment system is enabled as the default app. Watches with Tizen operating system also only support Samsung Pay.
Q: Does the Galaxy Watch support wireless charging?
Answer: Yes. The Galaxy Watch, Galaxy Watch Active, Galaxy Watch Active 2, Galaxy Watch 3, Galaxy Watch 4 and Watch Classic 4 support wireless charging. The original Galaxy Watch uses a WPC-based charger, while the other models support Qi technology, which means they can also be charged by connecting to the back panel of the phone. These watches may not be able to be charged with the wireless charger that is commonly intended for phones, so it is best to use a charger designed specifically for these products.
We hope this shopping guide is familiar enough with the various Galaxy Watch series models, features, build quality, usability, and the like.
Galaxy Watch Buying Guide