Best Online and Free Universities? Taking free online university courses is a great way to increase your job opportunities. These courses will make your resume (CV) more productive and while they can be mentioned in your interviews and increase your score, they are also a good way to spend your free time.
With so many universities and higher education institutions now offering free online courses, it can be a bit difficult to decide which one to choose.
Best Online and Free Universities
In this article, we have collected some of the most popular free online courses from the best universities in the world. Of course, our list is by no means exhaustive and only gives an overview of the 9 universities that offer free online classes.
Harvard University offers over 600 free online courses, allowing you to enjoy the Ivy League education system for free. Here are some of the free courses at this university:
- Biography and works of Shakespeare: In this course you will learn how to read the plays of William Shakespeare and during 4 weeks you will get acquainted with the biography of this great character. This period also includes the history of the Elizabeth era, the history of the Jacobites and the modern era.
- Justice: This course, which is an introduction to moral and political philosophy, critically analyzes classical and contemporary theories for 12 weeks. In this course you will also read the works of Aristotle, John Locke, Emmanuel Kant, John Stuart Mill and John Rolls.
- The effects of climate change on human health: Climate change is now more worrying and important than ever. In this 7-week course, you can learn about the effects of global warming on human health and how we can reduce its effects.
The University of California, Irvine, offers a variety of courses and classes in a variety of fields. Here are some of these courses that you may be interested in:
- Improving Business Writing Skills in English : This course will help you find your writing style and give you the opportunity to practice your writing skills on a variety of business relationships.
- Introduction to Electronics : In this course, you will get acquainted with the main components of electronics, namely: diodes, transistors and operational amplifiers (op-amps). These classes are suitable for those who want to have more knowledge in electrical engineering.
- Games without Chance Combinational Game Theory: This course is a beginner’s guide to learning combination game theory that covers the mathematical theory and analysis of simple games without random motion.
The Georgia Institute of Technology has been offering online courses since 2012. Since then, 3.3 million people have used these global online classes, which cover a wide range of topics. Some of these online courses are:
- Data Analysis in Business: This course will help you to get acquainted with and understand business data and analysis. This gives you the opportunity to incorporate these algorithms and business analytics methods into a real business data set.
- Innovation Leadership: This course includes a six-week course for those looking to become an innovative leader. In this course you will learn why innovative leaders are essential for growth and development and how they can be nurtured.
- Supply Chain Principles This 15-hour course is a great introduction for those looking to find the right job in the supply chain. This course will help you gain knowledge of the vast supply chain and learn about the career paths available.
Ecole Polytechnic is the name of a leading French university that combines science and technology to acquaint students with high-level scientific innovations and research. The university offers 29 online courses including 10 courses in English and 19 courses in French. Some of these courses are:
- Introduction to Probability: In this two-part course, which is taught in French and its classes are held weekly, you will be taught the principles of probability and you will have a gradual and at the same time complete understanding of probability and How to use it in the real world.
- How to write and publish a scientific article: This course is designed for students who have already done academic research and experience and does exactly what is stated in the title. Classes in this course are taught in English, and in four weeks you will learn exactly how to write and publish a scholarly article.
- From Particles to Stars : If you’ve ever wondered how the universe came to be and how it evolved over the last 14 billion years, or even what the universe is made of, this is the time for you. Classes last 10 weeks and are taught in French.
One of the largest universities in the United States is Michigan State University, which offers a range of online courses. Here are some of these courses that you may be interested in:
- Become a Journalist: In these classes, the impact of journalism on social issues and other issues is examined. In this course you can learn the best methods and ethical standards of news gathering processes. This course takes about six months to complete and is very suitable for aspiring journalists.
- Write a long script for cinema or television: In 20 weeks you will learn how to write a complete and long script for cinema or television. In this course you will learn a structured process that allows you to write a complete script.
- Allocating Art for Games: This course, which is for beginners for 6 months, teaches you the essentials for producing 2D and 3D art games.
The institute was ranked 20th in the QS World University Rankings for 2020 for Art and Design. The California Institute of the Arts runs several online creative courses, some of which include:
- Specialized Graphic Design: This six-month course teaches you the basic skills needed for graphic design. In addition, you will complete a project in this course that can be used for professional portfolios.
- Top Perspectives Poetry Workshop : In this ten-hour course, you will learn the key terms and tools of poetry by studying a wide range of poems by modern and contemporary poets. In addition, you will have the opportunity to write your own poems and get feedback from experts in the field.
- Design Language: Form and Meaning: In this course you will perform an objective analysis of a graphic design work and critique its effectiveness. This course is for beginners and lasts about eight hours.
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology is an international research university that aims to promote education and research in science, technology, engineering, management and business studies. The university offers a series of online courses that include:
- Introduction to Fintech: You can learn about innovations, technology, and financial regulation drivers in the first extensive FinTech MOOC online course in Asia. The course starts on May 15 and is taught by eminent professors and specialists.
- Understanding News: This six-week course develops your critical thinking skills so that you can better identify reliable information in news reports and gain better information.
- Government, Law and Economics: If you are interested in learning economics, this course is a great starting point for you. In this course, the basic concepts of economics related to the study of political economy are taught.
One of the top colleges in the UK, ranked eighth in the world in the latest QS University Rankings, is University College London. The college offers a variety of online courses, including:
- Social Media Anthropology: Why We Post: This is a five-week course on the implications of social media and a comparative and anthropological approach to the use of social media around the world.
- Introduction to Citizenship Science and Scientific Citizenship: This course, run by the UCL Geography Group, gives you a basic understanding of citizenship science and introduces you to academic work in the field.
- Introduction to Culture, Health and Welfare: This course helps you to present, evaluate or develop health-related activities at a museum, heritage, artwork or cultural organization. This introduction is a great start for those who want to work in these sectors.
MIT is recognized as one of the most prestigious universities in the world and is ranked first in the latest QS World University Rankings. Here are some of the online courses offered by this university:
- Number Theory 1: This course covers a wide range of algebraic and analytical number theory topics at the graduate level.
- Microeconomic Theory and Public Policy: If you are interested in learning economics, why not learn it through one of the best online classes? This course uses microeconomic theory to analyze public policy and teaches you the basics of economics. You are free to continue this course at your own pace and gradually learn things.
- The advent of the book from the Renaissance to the present: This course is suitable for people who are looking for something different. This course examines the impact of new technology on the recording and distribution of words and images, and the impact of the invention of the printing press in 1450, the adaptation of electricity to nineteenth-century communication technology, and today’s digital media to the production and production of books.